Targeted direct mail campaigns are an essential marketing tactic to locally promote a dental practice, solidify practice-area influence, and foster patient relationships by encouraging reciprocal actions.
What is targeted direct mail?
It’s most valuable benefit is that it targets a specific audience, with interests and needs that can be aligned with practice offers and services. Targeted direct mail segmentation allows you to only advertise to an audience that is most likely to convert and contact your office, schedule an appointment, or book a procedure.
How to target a direct mail campaign
Segmenting an audience enables marketing to become more personalized, positioning a brand as a tangible advertisement in the homes of more engaged patients, which is the key to a prosperous dental care practice. Whether you are looking for new movers in your area or interested in advertising a specific procedure, targeted campaigns allow dental practitioners to match patient prospects on the specific timing and patient characteristics relevant to a practice.
Targeting is especially important for dentists with a goal to grow a practice. To get started on building your own lucrative marketing campaign, here is how you get started:
- Segment the audiences by demographics, for example, mothers.
- Separate people by interests and needs to create a precise targeting pool, for example, first-time and new mothers aged between 28 – 40 years, with children between 6 – 18 months, with an annual salary of $80K, located within 5 miles of your practice. The key is not to be too narrow in segmentation.
- Build a profile of the type of people your service would interest by aligning an offer with their lifestyle and shopping behavior.
- Create a compelling message that would appeal to your audience to take action.
- Customize the salutation by personalizing it with your target’s name.
- Include a tracking metric to measure on the direct mail piece to understand where your conversions are coming from.
- Design, print, and send to the segmented data list.
Which demographics can be targeted?
Demographic information in its simplest form is the descriptor that populations use to define themselves. People can be segmented demographically by:
- Family structure
- Marital status
How to find segments to target
Customized lists and personalization direct mail products are proven to create a much higher likelihood of conversions. Targeted lists allow you to mail to:
- Recent movers into the neighborhood.
- New moms inquiring about baby dental care.
- Specific appointed demographics for new patient and procedure offers that fit both the practice and prospects’ specific dental needs.
- Fitness followers who may want a smile to match healthy body goals.
- Families with teenagers or young adults for orthodontic services.
- Insured patients for seasonal reminders such as “Expiration of Benefits” and/or “Renewal of Benefits.”
- Pediatric dental care “Back to School” special to households with only children present.
Why targeted direct mail works
Targeted direct mail that segments an audience and personalizes your brand communication differentiates your practice from the competition, departs from the digital clutter and builds communication with prospective and existing patients. Potential and current patients exposed to direct mail have a higher response rate to tangible offers, which also have a longer shelf life!
So if you’re looking to run a successful targeted direct mail campaign, make sure it’s targeted, it’s personal, it’s eye-catching and measurable!
Targeted vs saturation direct mail
Saturation direct and targeted direct mail are most often used by practices, but for very different and specific reasons. Segmentation by demographic and then targeting an audience is lucrative in that it eliminates people without intent to convert, only targeting prospects that are already interested in your services. It can be a cost-effective marketing solution depending on the print quantity and lead quality.
On the other hand, saturation direct mail is cost-effective, capturing a much larger area population with higher volume of potential conversions and lower out-going print and postage costs. The difference between the two depends on your marketing objective and expected outcome.
Get expert support for your next direct mail campaign
If you’re looking to grow a practice, target local areas and beyond – run a successful targeted direct mail campaign with Conversion Whale experts. Make sure it’s targeted, it’s personal, it’s eye-catching and it’s measurable, let us show you how.